In today’s episode of Help Choose Home, we’re joined by Bill Dombi, Esq., the President of the National Association for Home Care and Hospice, where he also serves as the Director for the Center for Healthcare Law, and the Executive Director of the Homecare and Hospice Financial Managers Association.
With nearly 40 years of experience in health care law and policy, Bill has been heavily involved with health care and hospice policy at the local and national level since 1975. He has advocated for home health care reform under numerous presidential administrations.
In this episode we discuss:
- Ways consumers can support congressional initiatives to provide more home care options.
- The future of care at home in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The history of how the initiative to make home care a more accessible option has bridged political divides and united the country.
Below are some highlights from our conversation:
- [1:51] Discover current care at home initiatives and how recent world events are impacting health care at home.
- [3:36] Learn what consumers can do to help the initiative to provide more home care options.
- [5:02] Learn how NAHC’s digital advocacy feature can help consumers get in touch with their congressional representatives.
- [6:23] Bill shares his personal experience with home care and hospice services.
- [9:20] Gain insights into future home care projections regarding virtual visits and advances in technology.
- [12:49] Discover the way the global pandemic has accelerated the adoption of new technologies and approaches in home care.
- [14:47] Bill reflects on his goals for national home care in the coming years.
- [16:11] Explore how the current political climate is turning in favor of home care.
- [17:36] Learn about other agencies and resources featuring reliable information about health care at home.
- [18:20] Bill shares his ultimate hope that future generations will have home care as a first option.
After listening to today’s episode, I think that, like me, you’ll come away with a greater understanding of the way technological advancements are making care at home a more viable option for countless Americans. You’ll also gain a deeper understanding of the history of home care legislation, and learn how to get involved in new initiatives to bring health care home.
To learn more about how technological advances in the age of a pandemic are changing the way home health care happens, listen to my interview with Ken Albert, RN, Esq., President and CEO of Androscoggin Home Healthcare + Hospice. Learn about the future of American public health in a post-pandemic world and the importance of educating primary care providers and consumers about palliative care and hospice care.
If this episode has been helpful, be sure to leave a five-star review and share the podcast with your friends to help us in the national effort to educate about home health care options! You can connect with me, Merrily Orsini, on Twitter@MerrilyO.
The Help Choose Home podcast series is a collaborative effort by the National Association for Home Care and Hospice (NAHC), Axxess, and corecubed to educate the public about the many benefits of the in-home care industry, which includes non-medical home care, private duty nursing care, medical home health, hospice, and other in-home health and wellness services.
Access the full Help Choose Home podcast library.
Rate, Review and Subscribe
The Help Choose Home podcast series provides information and resources to help those with a care need learn more about healthcare at home. Podcasts are hosted by Merrily Orsini, Founder/Board Chair of corecubed, a marketing firm dedicated exclusively to helping aging care providers grow their business.