In today’s episode, we talk to Dr. Tom Cornwell, Senior Medical Director at Village Medical at Home. Village Medical at Home is part of VillageMD, an organization that partners with physicians to provide the tools, technology, operations, staffing support and industry relationships to deliver high-quality clinical care and better patient outcomes, while reducing the total cost of care. Dr. Cornwell has over 25 years of experience providing care at home and has made over 34,000 house calls in that time.
In this episode we discuss:
- Dr. Cornwell’s career-long efforts in bringing care to patients’ homes.
- Payment models that are influencing the trends of in home care.
- The importance of advocacy work in the home health care field.
Below are some highlights from our conversation:
- [1:45] Dr. Cornwell discusses his time with Village Medical at Home.
- [3:44] How has COVID affected the home health care field?
- [4:39] Learn how Dr. Cornwell’s work has changed from when he first began house calls to now.
- [5:52] Discover how some payment models can keep patients out of hospitals.
- [7:00] Learn how Dr. Cornwell is keeping patients well instead of just treating them.
- [8:57] What payment model leaves the caregivers 100% at risk for the patient’s healthcare costs?
- [9:30] Dr. Cornwell addresses how advocacy work in home health could impact the field and who he thinks needs it most.
- [10:00] Dr. Cornwell discusses the innovation that can come out of a certain pay model in the home health field.
To learn more about how care at home can make a difference, listen to my interview with Dr. Warren Herbert, CEO of the Homecare Association of Louisianna, in which he explains the benefits that can be achieved by at-home care as opposed to hospital care.
If this episode has been helpful, be sure to leave a five-star review and share the podcast with your friends to help us in the national effort to educate about home health care options! You can connect with me, Merrily Orsini, on Twitter @MerrilyO.
The Help Choose Home podcast series is a collaborative effort by Axxess, the National Association for Home Care and Hospice (NAHC), and corecubed to educate the public about the many benefits of the in-home care industry, which includes non‑medical home care, private duty nursing care, medical home health, hospice, and other in‑home health and wellness services.
Access the full Help Choose Home podcast library.
Rate, Review and Subscribe
The Help Choose Home podcast series provides information and resources to help those with a care need learn more about healthcare at home. Podcasts are hosted by Merrily Orsini, Founder/Board Chair of corecubed, a marketing firm dedicated exclusively to helping aging care providers grow their business.