According to a 2018 AARP survey, 80% of adults over the age of 50 want to remain in their homes and communities as they age. For those in the home care industry, these findings come as no surprise. Home not only represents familiarity, but comfort and security as well. And during the pandemic, home has also been seen as a safe haven for older adults who, due to age and any pre-existing health conditions, are at a higher risk for developing serious complications from COVID-19.
During today’s episode of Help Choose Home, I am joined by Jeff Wiberg, CEO of Family Resource Home Care, which has been serving residents of the Pacific Northwest for 54 years. Jeff has been in the home care field since 2008, and as you’ll learn in our discussion, he is passionately committed to helping people access care at home.
In today’s episode we discuss:
- The wide variety of care available at home
- How professional home care services are paid for
- The value of home care services
- The role of home care agencies in helping to educate families in a variety of care options
Here are some highlights from our conversation
- [4:45] Jeff explains the infection control protocols that have been implemented to keep clients and caregivers safe.
- [8:00] Learn the importance of working with community partners to facilitate ongoing care.
- [9:50] Jeff explains the equation: need + preparation and how home care clients’ benefit.
- [11:00] Learn the role of community in providing care.
- [12:00] Jeff explains why care at home is safer and the different types of care available.
- [14:00] Learn how home care is paid for.
- [16:15] Jeff outlines the value of home care.
- [19:45] Jeff explains how clinical outcomes can be impacted positively by remaining in the home for care.
- [22:30] Jeff details why it’s important to see home care as preventative care.
- [25:15] Learn where you can access free resources about aging and care options.
- [26:15] Jeff explains the psychological benefits of home care.
After listening to today’s episode, I think that, like me, you’ll come away with a deeper and more nuanced view of professional home care and its role in helping people age in place and enhancing quality of life.
To learn more about how professional home care can be a wonderful partner for family caregivers, listen to my interview with Gary Barg. Gary is the editor-in-chief of Today’s Caregiver magazine, and as a family caregiver himself, he understands the important role professional home care plays in helping older adults age in the comfort and familiarity of home.
If this episode has been helpful, be sure to leave a five-star review and share the podcast with your friends to help us in the national effort to educate about home health care options! You can connect with me, Merrily Orsini, on Twitter@MerrilyO.
The Help Choose Home podcast series is a collaborative effort by the National Association for Home Care and Hospice (NAHC) , Axxess, and corecubed to educate the public about the many benefits of the in-home care industry, which includes non-medical home care, private duty nursing care, medical home health, hospice, and other in-home health and wellness services.
Access the full Help Choose Home podcast library here.
Rate, Review & Subscribe
Links Mentioned in this Episode:
The Help Choose Home podcast series provides information and resources to help those with a care need learn more about healthcare at home. Podcasts are hosted by Merrily Orsini, president and CEO of corecubed, a marketing firm dedicated exclusively to helping aging care providers grow their business.
Help Choose Home is a collaborative effort by the National Association for Home Care and Hospice (NAHC), Axxess, and corecubed to educate the public about the many benefits of the in-home care industry, which includes non-medical home care, private duty nursing care, medical home health, hospice, and other in-home health and wellness services.