In today’s episode of Help Choose Home, we welcome Andrea Cohen, a social entrepreneur dedicated to transforming the way care is delivered to seniors at home. As the Founder and CEO of HouseWorks, her vision crystalized over 25 years ago when she took care of both her parents and made an unwavering commitment to redefine what it means to age.
As an innovator and thought leader in the home care industry, Andrea and the team at HouseWorks takes an entrepreneurial approach to service delivery that returns a sense of control to adult children and their parents. Andrea was recently elected to the Board of Directors for the Home Care Association of America (HCAOA) and she also sits on the Board of The Commonwealth Institute, the Schwartz Center Leadership Council, and the Caregiver Action Network and serves as an appointee to the Massachusetts Women Forum.
In this episode we discuss:
- How home care is prepared to meet a wide variety of needs and promote senior independent living
- Specialized dementia care that benefits both clients and caregivers
- Suggestions for consumers who are seeking care for a loved one
- How home care remains a safe option for seniors during the pandemic
Here are some highlights from our conversation:
- [1:35] Andrea discusses the founding principles of HouseWorks
- [4:40] Learn why the term “non-medical” home care is really a misnomer
- [5:00] Andrea explains guiding families in their decisions to help keep senior loved ones at home
- [5:30] Andrea discusses how the Beacon Hill Village model of home care remains an innovative approach to aging care
- [7:53] Discover how seniors empower themselves when it comes to care and aging
- [9:40] Andrea explains an exciting, specialized dementia care training that is transformative for caregivers
- [11:05] Learn how consumers can access home care following the hospitalization of a senior loved one
- [12:30] Discover how to think ahead and anticipate aging care needs for an elder who may resist help at home
- [15:10] It’s important for consumers to educate themselves early about home care options, before they’re needed
- [17:35] Andrea shares how technology is impacting home care – for clients, families and caregivers
- [19:55] Andrea explains the protocols home care agencies are following in order to keep clients safe during the pandemic
After listening to today’s episode, I think that like me, you’ll learn a great deal about the innovation that is occurring in the home care industry and the positive impact it is having on the ever-growing senior population.
To learn more about the home care industry and other innovative ways in which seniors are able to remain in their homes and communities during the aging process, listen to my interview with Shawn M. Bloom, President and CEO of the National PACE Association. Shawn explains the importance of taking a comprehensive look at the social, medical environmental and family issues that impact care in the home.
If this episode has been helpful, be sure to leave a five-star review and share the podcast with your friends to help us in the national effort to educate about home health care options! You can connect with me, Merrily Orsini, on Twitter@MerrilyO.
The Help Choose Home podcast series is a collaborative effort by the National Association for Home Care and Hospice (NAHC), Axxess, and corecubed to educate the public about the many benefits of the in-home care industry, which includes non-medical home care, private duty nursing care, medical home health, hospice, and other in-home health and wellness services.
Access the full Help Choose Home podcast library.
Rate, Review and Subscribe
The Help Choose Home podcast series provides information and resources to help those with a care need learn more about healthcare at home. Podcasts are hosted by Merrily Orsini, Founder/Board Chair of corecubed, a marketing firm dedicated exclusively to helping aging care providers grow their business.